As a private, independent non-profit organization, we rely heavily on the generosity of the community. Running an animal rescue, especially a rescue with a physical shelter can be very expensive. We have been fortunate over our long 40+ year history to be an organization that people believe in and thus support us through donations of supplies as well as money.
One of the most common questions I receive when speaking with the public is where we receive our funding. As a private, independent organization, we are not affiliated with the ASPCA, Humane Society of the US or Associated Humane Societies. HSFC is not a government agency and receives no funding from federal, state or local governments. Our ability to care for the community’s animals is supported solely through our modest adoption fees, fundraising efforts, and donations from the community. This includes our sister organization, The Humane Society Thrift Store. Their hard work has raised over $550,000 since opening their doors in 2010.
The amazing support we receive allows us to continue on in our mission of not giving up…until they all have a home. At the time of me writing this entry, our organization has found homes for 22,282 dogs and cats that were in desperate need of a second chance. In 2016 we had a record adoption year finding homes for over 1,850 pets and we are expecting to increase that number once again in 2017.
When speaking with our supporters, they typically follow up the conversation asking how they can help. I find this to be even more difficult to answer sometimes simply because there are so many ways you can help:
• Make a donation by mail or online at www.ForsythPets.org
• Become a RESCUE HERO by setting up an automatic monthly gift for less than your daily cup of coffee. www.ForsythPets.org
• Shop and donate at the Humane Society Thrift Store
• Log into your Kroger Rewards Card account and select the HSFC as your favorite charity (More Info)
• Select “Forsyth County Humane Society” as your charity when using Amazon Smile and a portion of your purchases get donated to us. (More Info)
• Order the supplies from our Amazon Wish List and they will ship directly to our facility (More Info)
• Drop off pet food supplies, kitty litter, and other supplies at our shelter
• Attend one of our many fundraising events
• Become a Corporate Partner (More Info)
• Share our posts on social media
• Tell your friends
These are just some of the ways you can help the HSFC in our mission. If you would like to learn more or have any questions please feel free to email me directly. If you would like to schedule a personal tour of our adoption center with me, send me an email.
In appreciation of your support,
Mark Schullstrom Jr.
Executive Director / President, 2017 Board of Directors